|Substance abuse costs Oregon business millions of dollars annually
due to related absenteeism, tardiness, accidents, sickness and theft.
An effective drug-free workplace policy can dramatically reduce many
of these problems.
Serenity Lane's Employer Services
offers assistance in the following ways:
- Establishing a drug free workplace policy. If one already exists,
a review is usually helpful.
- Training supervisors to recognize signs of substance abuse,
and develop skills necessary to intervene and communicate about
related performance problems.
- Helping employers to appropriately manage issues related to
positive urine screens at the work site.
- Assisting supervisors to resolve immediate work site problems through phone
consultation with experienced professionals.
- Coordinating disability benefits for qualifying employees.
- Reintegrating employees into the workplace.
- Monitoring compliance of employees involved in "return to work
agreements", through timely documentation. Patient
monitoring (Blue Flag Program) is a value added program that
tracks mandated clients through the treatment process, and reports
monthly on each client's progress.
Jerry Gjesvold, Manager of Employer Services, covers the
state of Oregon as Serenity Lane's liaison for business and industry
helping to identify substance abuse. He conducts educational seminars
and supervisory training, and oversees the
Patient Monitoring system for employers. Mr. Gjesvold advises
about last chance agreements between employers and workers, as well
as consults on all aspects of an employee's reintegration into the
workforce. He provides case management and support to both employers
and employees while utilizing his many years experience as a counselor
Note: Jerry Gjesvold authors a monthly newspaper column
where he presents information about alcohol and substance abuse
issues. Some columns are available here on our website.
View our collection of articles »